Kale is celebrated as a superfood due to its remarkable nutritional profile and health advantages. Try this recipe for Leeks, Kale and Peas and let me know what you think in the comments. Just so you know, I have other kale recipes on my website so use the search bar to find alternatives if this is not for you!
You will need a large deep pan, preferably one that won’t stick!
- 3tbs of olive oil
- Large pinch of salt
- Large clove of garlic
- 2 medium/large leeks
- 4-6 large kale leaves or the equivalent
- 3-400g frozen or tinned peas in water
- Ground black pepper
- Cold water
- Start by chopping the leeks in narrow circles, as thin as you can easily, (you can use the green parts as well if they look healthy, not just the white).
- Put the oil in the pan and crush the garlic into the oil.
- Add the salt and the leeks, and stir over a medium heat.
- While the leeks are warming, strip the leaves from the kale and chop roughly, add to the pan and stir in.
- Now add the peas, if using tinned add them with the water from the tin, if frozen use direct from the packet.
- Stir again.
- You will need a covering of water in the pan, (so that the veg can simmer and steam gently over the next 15 minutes or so). Add a few grinds of black pepper, then stir it up and put the lid on.
- Simmer over a lower heat, needs to be simmering for about 15 minutes.
- After 10 minutes take out a little bit of kale and taste, if still chewy leave for a little longer, after 15 minutes it should be done.
- Just leave the lid on and turn the heat off and get the rest of the meal out.
I served this with roast sweet potatoes and roast chicken thighs with Za’atar and thyme. A very good combination!
Enjoy and let me know in the comments if you tried it!