A simple tasty, warm crunch roast chickpea recipe for any day of the week! You can add any of the 4 flavour combinations below or find one of your own. Either way, this nutritious snack will keep you fuller for longer.
- 2 – 19 oz. cans of cooked chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and thoroughly dried
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
Plus one of the following 4 dried spices or citrus combos:
- 2 tsp smoked paprika / 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp maple syrup / 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp turmeric / 1 tsp ginger
- 1 lime (juice and zest) / 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Now drain, rinse, and pat dry chickpeas. Drain, rinse, and pat the chickpeas dry. Remove chickpea skins that come off when drying (the drier the better). I thought this would be a faff but actually, it was really easy. I used a tea towel/dishtowel and laid the chickpeas out on one half and then rubbed them with the other half, the skins came off really easily.
- Spread the chickpeas in a single layer on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Toss gently so that the chickpeas are evenly coated. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, gently shaking the baking sheet every 10 minutes to move around the chickpeas.
- While the chickpeas are cooking make your coating mixture. I chose black pepper and lime this time.
- After 30 minutes, remove from the oven and evenly coat with the seasoning of your choice. Place the coated chickpeas back in the oven for 5-10 more minutes, until crispy. Best served immediately for warm crunchiness.
A note for you
- You can adjust quantities according to taste.
- Store at room temperature in a container without a sealed lid/with a loosely covered lid (they stay crispier that way). Chickpeas lose a little bit of crispness and get a little chewier the next day. Still tasty though!
Thank you to https://www.yayforfood.com for the inspiration.